Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Gentle Jazz Afternoon with Olivia

Last Saturday, I was in SM Southmall to follow-up my OJT documents. After I got all these documents, I was like, I don't want to go back there because of my traumatic OJT experience.

I was roaming the mall, presumably for the last time, then I saw Gentle Jazz by Olivia album tour on the Events Center. I was hesitant to wait. First because the album tour was scheduled at 5 pm and it was 5:30 already. Second, and the most probable reason, because I thought that no one can enter the seating area without buying the album. Then a woman was calling everybody to come in, so I went in.

Though the album itself only has one original song (composed by Olivia herself) out of fifteen songs, the first thing that popped on my mind is that I have this chance to hear jazz live for free!

After waiting for another 15-20 minutes, Olivia finally arrived, and the show began with her rendition of "Sway". It was marred by feedbacks, and I find her very stiff and having difficulty in breathing (maybe because she was fresh from travel; Las PiƱas is where traffic jam never ends). But as the program progressed, she became comfortable already.

Olivia's such a joy to watch. She has tremendous energy on the stage. And I believe that she might jump on and off the stage had she not wearing a short dress. (Kung nagtatatalon siya, makikita ng sambayanang Pilipino ang hindi dapat makita... bwahahahahaha!). What I can't understand is that the audience is not appreciative enough. Maybe because they don't listen to Jazz that often, and they don't have the chance to listen to Jazz (compared to music from Cueshe, Spongecola, and all of these rock and pogi rock bands, anyway it's another story) The show started with all seats occupied, the show ended half-full. But at least people watching from 2nd and 3rd floors, and from the sidelines are still there. (baka nahiyang pumasok)

Another thing, she loves to interact with the audience. She even come off the stage and gave the mic to some audience to sing with her. However, she kept on going to her right side. I was seating on her left side, kaya parang nag-tampo ako...

All in all, she sang 16 songs. I cannot recall the titles of all of these, especially the foreign titled ones (because she sang French, Portuguese, and Chinese songs that night). She has also sang Portuguese (?) versions of I Will Survive and Unbreak My Heart. But the songs that really stuck to my mind are Sweet Baby and Oh Lori.

Her version of Sweet Baby is nice. Although the arrangement still sounds like the original, her rendition was nice, very sweet indeed, and I feel joy in that song. Anyway, it is a happy love song and it's a good thing that she gave justice to the song.

Oh Lori, oh Lori... I never imagined Oh Lori to be that funky, and she (and her band) made it oh so funky and oh so groovy.

After the show, I approached her PR to ask for her pictures. She gave Olivia's Friendster and Multiply accounts (sorry guys, these are not her personal accounts) and told me that they will upload it there. She even introduced me to Olivia. Bwahahahahaha! Olivia gave me a whole pizza and signed it. What can I say, she's nice!

Evidences?

Me, Olivia, and her staff


Me and Olivia

No comments: